Saturday, October 27, 2007

Steak and Parmesan Risotto


There is no better dinner, IMHO, than a delicious steak and a cheesy starch. I usually throw in a salad or some asparagus for the hubby, but it didn't happen this time. I cooked the steaks on the stovetop, which is my new favorite way of cooking a good thick steak. Shocking, considering I grill out at least 4 nights a week, but I've found that a pan seared steak is hard to beat! Here are the recipes for this meal:

Steak:
Heat up an 8" skillet (I use non-stick b/c that's what I have, but I think you are supposed to sear with stainless cookware). While it's heating up, put a few sprinkles of Mrs. Dash on one side of the steaks, topped with a small sliver of butter (very small, think like 1/4 teaspoon). When the pan is hot, throw the steaks on, butter side down. While that side is searing (about 30 seconds on high), sprinkle some garlic salt on the other side of the steak. The flip and sear that side. After both sides are seared, turn the heat down to medium low and finish cooking. I cook 1" steaks for about 6 minutes total, but keep in mind that I like mine still mooing.

Parmesan risotto:

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cans of chicken broth to a simmer (you can also use 1 can broth, 1 can water). In a medium saucepan, melt 2 T butter/margerine (or you can use 3 T olive oil) and 1 clove garlic. Add 1.5 cups risotto (also known as arborrio, just in case your husband comes home empty handed from the store insisting that they don't sell risotto) and stir. Turn heat to medium and add 1.5 cups white wine. Stir continually until the liquid is gone. Then begin adding broth, about 3/4 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is gone. After about 15 minutes, taste to see if risotto is cooked. Once it is cooked, add salt, cracked black pepper, and 1 cup of freshly grated cheese. I usually use Parmesan, but Gruyere is also very good! This is one of those dishes that you'll perfect after a couple of times of making it. You can also add a little onion in with the butter and garlic if you want a little extra flavor.

No comments: