Sunday, June 20, 2010

Beach week!

Beach070

Some of my favorite memories growing up are from the week we spent every summer at Holden Beach. Now, I'm not exactly a beach person (as you may have guessed based on the transparency of my skin), but I still love the ocean and hanging out with my family for the week. And I was really looking forward to taking Maddie for her first official beach week!

She had a GREAT time. This child loooooves the water, and she was actually pretty chill on the beach. She knew exactly how far she could go into the ocean before the waves would start knocking her over, and she never crossed that line. She loved throwing her toys in the ocean and watching the waves wash them back up on the beach. We got a little baby pool and put it under our canopy, which was great so we could sit in the shade and Maddie could still play in the water. My little girly girl didn't like her hands being sandy, so much of her beach time was spent falling, getting hands dirty, then running to the water to wash them off.

Mads was a little bit of a handful at the beach- she has recently hit the terrible (almost) 2's, and her 'tude was in full force. She actually has been a bit better since we've been home, so I think it was partly just b/c she was so overstimulated and overtired (she woke up around 6:30 every day at the beach-ack!). But we still had a great time.

It was a much different beach experience, having my own kiddo there! I was expecting it to be exhausting, and it pretty much was, although honestly it wasn't that much more tiring than watching her at home, and we had built in entertainment a la grandparents and aunties, so it wasn't too bad. Overall, I think actually enjoyed being a parent at the beach more than being a kid at the beach-maybe not as carefree and relaxing, but it was so much fun to see Maddie enjoying herself so much. Plus, as an adult I got to enjoy a delicious strawberry daiquiri before dinner each night- can't beat that!

And now some pictures! You know I couldn't do a beach post without a plethora of pictures! Link to all of our beach pics here.

Walking with Momo and Papa on the beach
Beach019

Tired and wet after playing on the beach
Beach026

Strolling through the ocean
Beach037

We can use our OUTSIDE VOICE on the beach!
Beach047

Mom and Dad on their 30th wedding anniversary!
Beach058

My pretty girl
Beach063

Sisters!
Beach114

Gathering some shells
Beach129

Headed out to wash her hands
Beach136

Walking backwards on the beach, lol
Beach159

Hanging out with the Humphries fam
Beach141

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And another generation begins....annual beach week at Holden! It was great fun!