Sunday, March 1, 2015

So close I can taste it!

Believe it or not ( I can't!), I am now on day 28 of my Whole30....wow! I knew when I started it that I would finish it because I'm stubborn like that, but there were a couple of times (I'm talking to you, week 2) that I really wanted to quit.

Last week was a challenge, I was in good old NYC for 2 nights. It's pretty much masochistic to go on a trip like this while trying to do Whole30, but I had an offer to stay in free apartment, and I can't say no to that! So I packed up little baggies of steak and chicken and bacon, threw a bunch of apples in a bag and headed off to the big city. Staying in an apartment was nice so I could heat up my meat and cut up my fruit and cook my bacon. I really don't know if I could have done it in a hotel.

I also found a restaurant called Bareburger that I ate at for dinner my first night there. They serve all grass fed meats and are very transparent about their cooking oils, etc. I ordered a hamburger with a fried egg and bacon, no bun, and sweet potato fries. It was all pretty good. I wasn't sure if I'd like the fries, but they were actually pretty tasty with salt. I also found a little grocery/prepared food store with some tables, and went there a couple of times and just bought water and fruit and was able to sit inside (in the heat!) and eat my meat, lol.

It definitely wasn't the best trip food wise, but luckily since I live so close now, I knew I'd be back soon so I just tried to ignore all of the amazing looking (and smelling) places I passed. I couldn't help from noticing that you are basically never more than 30 ft away from a Snickers in the theater district. Using the lottery system, discounts and TKTS, I also got to see 3 shows for the price of one- all three close orchestra seats, it was awesome!

I've pretty much just been making a big dinner every other night, eating leftovers for one night plus lunches, and bacon and apples for breakfast. I'll post the recipes I used for the last couple of nights. From here on out (2 MORE NIGHTS!!), I'm not cooking anything special, so this will be my last food post, but I do want to write a little bit about the experience and what I'm taking away from it. So look for that tomorrow or Tues :).

Ok- Friday night I did a roast chicken- this recipe is based on Thomas Keller's but is modified for Whole30. It was very tasty- nothing like some crispy chicken skin. I roasted sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots and turnips with the chicken and those were all good except I almost threw up one bite of the turnips. Old habits die hard. It was a high effort, big mess meal, so maybe best for a weekend.

Tonight, I cut up a steak and just grilled some meat kabobs using this marinade. It was SO GOOD. A marinade I'd definitely come back to. Like really yummy. My meat wasn't even that good, but it didn't matter because the marinade was so delicious. I also did kale chips, after Maddie requested those over brussels sprouts :).

No comments: