Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Well, it's official...Paris is perfect.

Wow, where do I even start with today? Definitely one of the most fun and delicious days I have had in my entire life. We started the day off right by grabbing a pain au chocolate at a nearby restaurant, then we headed over to probably my favorite street in Paris, Rue Mouffetard. If you are ever in Paris, this is a street that you have to hit. It has lots of cute little shops, plus an active market and a variety of boulangeries and fromageries. If I had written the song "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music, it definitely would have included bakeries and cheese shops.

Love cette rue!

And when my parents spotted an Asian market shop selling Dr. Pepper, all the stars officially aligned and Paris became my perfect city. I will probably gain at least 1900 lbs after I move here, but it will be SO worth it. Au revoir America, Paris wins.

happiest.girl.ever.

Since we had a limited amount of time today, for lunch we decided just to pick up some items from the market and eat them back at our hotel. My mom wanted to try pain aux céréales, which was a delicious type of baguette with grains and nuts. We also bought a couple different types of chèvres. And of course we got a couple of chocolate desserts to share as well. It didn't look like much, but it was filling and SO YUMMY.

After lunch, we metroed over to our scheduled Segway tour. OMG IT WAS SO FUN. Seriously, my face hurts from the massive amount of smiling and laughing that happened on this trip. If you ever have a chance to do a Segway tour, anytime, anywhere, DO IT. I was a little suspicious of the 100% positive reviews I saw online when I booked, but I'm a believer now. Even Oscar the Grouch would be smiling from ear to ear on one of these things(that was the grumpiest person I could think of). They are completely intimidating at first, but 5 minutes in and it feels like the most natural thing in the world. I think it's easier than riding a bike.

Practicing my Segway face before we got started

We had a hilarious and charming guide, Andre, and we zoomed all around the city and saw tons of the major sites, stopping to hear some history and funny stories about each one. It was just incredibly fun. The tour lasted about 3.5 hours, but we were all très triste when it was time to jump off the Segways. Have I mentioned that it was fun? Because it was.

Andre, our awesome tour guide!

I like to wear my helmet tilted to the side, Parisien style...ooh la la!

Hello, perfect day

The tour company gave us a list of restaurant recs, and we couldn't resist trying out some more fondue. This lead us to a rather unforgettable little fondue restaurant. It was really quite bizarre, but we're in Paris so we'll call it charming. The restaurant, in Montmartre, was typically tiny, but to squeeze more people in, they actually have people stand up in chairs and step/jump over the long tables to sit against the wall. As if that wasn't crazy enough, the wine was served in baby bottles- nipples and all. And there really wasn't much ordering...we sat down and were immediately served a glass of kir (yum!) and charcuterie. We asked for the cheese fondue and were given heaping baskets of bread and the world's largest pot of cheese. I know I sound like a broken record, but it was SO GOOD. We thought about trying the beef fondue, but I know I probably would have had to take my pants off to physically stuff any more food into my body.

Our aperitifs

Not as drunk as I look, sipping out of my bottle

Refuge indeed

Naturally, on the way home we stopped for nutella crêpes- it's not a night in Paris without one! So if you're keeping track, I ate nothing but bread, cheese, chocolate, meat and Dr. Pepper today. Winning! Oh, and a little wine thrown in as well. Those are the only food groups I'll ever need. There was an orange slice in my aperitif, does that count as my fruit for the day? Paris, je t'aime.

 

2 comments:

Alethea said...

Jenny, I'm so glad you decided to go on this trip. it looks like you're having the most delicious time of you life. Also, I busted out laughing because you look totally wasted in the one picture. Cheers & Bon Appetit!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny- I'm enjoying following along. Your pictures and descriptions are great! Please tell your family I said hello. - Chuck Driskell