Sunday, February 15, 2015

New York City! Day 2

Day 2
So, Maddie is a huge fan of the TODAY show, haha. She watches it with my mom sometimes so she knows all the anchors. When she found out we were going to NY, she really wanted to hold up a sign on tv. So we woke up waaaaay too early (neither of us are morning people), bundled up and checked out of the hotel (checked our bags with the bellhop).Took the subway over to the show and made our poster. 
It was SO COLD, so it wasn't super crowded. We made it on tv a couple times! We didn't stay long, only until about 7:45 because Maddie was really cold and I had already gotten texts that we were on tv, so it was time to get inside and warm up! I'm glad I did it once, but being a night owl- I probably wouldn't do it again :).
We walked over to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast. I didn't tell Maddie that the waitresses/waiters sing, so it was a fun surprise for her. They weren't super crowded (only time I've ever been there without a school group taking up the whole place!), and when they saw Maddie, they sang three Disney princess songs in a row- she was in heaven! The food was ok (they don't have nutella french toast anymore, which was a bummer, bc that was pretty good), but we came more for the atmosphere anyway.



We took our time eating, then hopped on the subway and headed to the American Natural History Museum! I was so excited to show her this awesome place. We watched Night at the Museum a few nights before our trip, so she was pumped. We got there right at 10, checked our coats and bags, and headed straight for the top floor. We had the dinos all to ourselves for a while! She was impressed by those for about 10 minutes, then got bored of skeletons. We had time to see the whole museum though, and we both really enjoyed it. Her favorites were the butterfly conservatory, the gems, the hall of human origins, many of the animals, and of course, the discovery room! 

















We took several sitting breaks in the museum, and after we left we walked to Gray's Papaya. Maddie loves hot dogs and papayas, so I figured it would be a hit- it was! I am not a big hot dog fan, so after that we subway'd back to Times Square and went to BonChon for me to grab some wings (they are my fave wings and we don't have one in my town!). Then we had about an hour to kill before our train left, so we wandered into a few tourist trap shops in Times Square and got Maddie an I heart NY shirt.

All in all, it was a great trip! I wish the weather had been warmer, but if we did the trip in April or May, the hotel and Lion King tickets probably would have been double the price, so I can put up with a little cold for a good deal :). Maddie is in LOVE with the city, she wants to sell our car and move there tomorrow!

No comments: